Gutting and Enlargement of the former Muenzarkaden, Maximilianstrasse 6-8, Munich
Within the scope of the 1863 widening of Munich’s Maximilian Street into a boulevard, the architect Friedrich Buerklein designed the Muenzarkaden. The historical front façade with its arcades that open towards the street is a listed historical monument.
The group of buildings was completely removed in order to create space for modern shops, offices and an underground garage. During construction work, the Bavarian State Office for Monument Protection carried out investigations and exposed remains of the 13th century city wall, the 15th century bailey wall as well as of many 18th and 19th century buildings. The remains were first removed and then returned to their original position once construction work was finished.
The façade of the Muenzarkaden was comprehensively stabilized within the scope of construction work. In addition, the roof of the building containing house number 6 had to be preserved due to stipulations of the Bavarian State Office for Monument Protection. The exterior walls were underpinned, and the buildings were shored up using bored piles.
Due to the limited space on site, the stabilization of the façades could only be accomplished using a small drilling rig. As an economic solution for tying back the exterior façade, a total of 768 self-drilling R32 Ø and R38 Ø DYWI® Drill Hollow Bar Anchors were used.
The excavation pit was dug to a depth of 14.75m and tied back step by step with a second and third level of anchors. For this purpose, DSI supplied a total of 7,683m of temporary 4 and 5 strand Type 0.60" DYWIDAG Strand Anchors.